Alrighty. Last post for this semester's class! I've decided to focus on the infamous shower scene from "Psycho." As we know, this scene plays an important role in the novel we just read, DeLillo's Point Omega. It so happens that my humanities class a couple years back studied this scene for its artistic value. The craftsmanship of this scene continues to astound me. The attention called to the showerhead, drain, curtain rings, and Janet Leigh's eye is very meticulous. The fear factor is definitely heightened. And the music? Yikes! I found our discussion on the art piece, 24-hour Psycho fascinating. Slowing it down and taking away the music sheds a new light on that movie. Calling attention to the logical aspects of the movie almost seems to make the frightening aspects of it obsolete.
I can't wait to watch the whole movie (because for some inexplicable reason, I haven't yet) to see what else Hitchcock has done with it. Below is the link for the shower scene. I realize that most of you have seen it before, but take a gander anyway. It gives me the chills every time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VP5jEAP3K4
Cheers and happy reading!
It's a creepy movie, to be sure. Did you know that Janet Leigh is Jamie Leigh Curtis's mother?
ReplyDelete